Whether you know me as Katie Phillips or by my professional author name, Karis Waters, I’m so glad you stopped by. Pull up a chair and sit for a spell, and I’ll brew you up some tea in my happy green teapot.
A few things you should know about me:
- I’m an INFJ.
- I’m a Ravenclaw. And also a major Harry Potter fan.
- I have an addiction to scarves and cuddly throws. Hey, some people collect shoes. Or juggle geese.
- I’ve visited over 25 countries.
- I call Kansas my home. (Let the Oz jokes begin).
- I lived in northern England for two and a half years.
- I can’t say no to warm chocolate chip cookies and dark chocolate gelato.
- I’m a recent coffee convert.
- I loved Book-It growing up. An excuse to read books and eat pizza? Sign me up.
- I’m married to a semi-professional principal ballet dancer, who was also my swing dance instructor.
- I love my job. Writing and helping authors improve their work is my passion.
- I’m a 2017 Advanced Writers and Speakers Association Golden Scroll Fiction Editor of the Year finalist and Merit Award winner.
- I do indeed work from home in my yoga pants.
But enough about me. Let’s talk about you, and your journey. After much soul-searching and agonizing (and indulging in copious amounts of dark chocolate) I decided these three words best reflected myself and my heart for you. Yes, beautiful, wonderful you.
Oooo, I love that word. Gives me shivers down my spine, full of possibilities. I love to create new people and stories and worlds through my fiction books. I love to help creatives develop their skills and learn to tell their stories with clarity and confidence!
I love to help creatives develop their skills and learn to tell their stories with clarity and confidence!
I want to create that space for you. I want to give you a safe place to learn, grow, connect with other creatives, and be inspired and refreshed. I want you to feel like you’ve found a friend who’s just a little wiser, just a little further along on your journey, who can show you the path to where you want to go.
I’m a homebody with an insatiable wanderlust. I know, figure that one out. But it’s true. I love to explore worlds and discover new beauties (and new ways of seeing) around every corner, whether it’s across oceans, between the pages of a book, or in my own backyard.
I want the stories that push the boundaries and ask tough questions. I love exploring new ideas and fantastical worlds. I believe in challenging ourselves to embrace adventures, discover the possibilities, and explore what it means to live our stories well.
I believe in challenging ourselves to embrace adventures, discover the possibilities, and explore what it means to live our stories well.
This is where it all comes together. I believe as a creative God gave us the desire to explore our world and create beautiful expressions of life in stories, art, music, and many other forms because that’s who He is, and we’re His children.
Occasionally, I share a few thoughts from my heart on living your story well and what I’m learning in my own journey, in hopes of illuminating the path for your own story.
Most of all, I desire to illuminate the true character and beauty of Jesus in the midst of a life that’s often messy, discouraging, and downright hard sometimes. I want to encourage you to never give up on your story, because I believe that the story we live is the most important one of all.
Never give up on your story. I believe the story we live is the most important one of all.