Whether you know me as Katie or by my professional author name, Karis Waters, I’m so glad you stopped by. Pull up a chair and sit for a spell, and I’ll brew you up some tea in my happy green teapot.
A few things you should know about me:
- I’m an INFJ.
- I’m a Ravenclaw. And also a major Harry Potter fan.
- I have an addiction to scarves and cuddly throws. Hey, some people collect shoes. Or juggle geese.
- I’ve visited over 30 countries.
- I call Kansas my home. (Let the Oz jokes begin).
- I lived in northern England for two and a half years.
- I can’t say no to warm chocolate chip cookies and dark chocolate gelato.
- I’m a recent coffee convert.
- I loved Book-It growing up. An excuse to read books and eat pizza? Sign me up.
- I’m married to a semi-professional principal ballet dancer, who was also my swing dance instructor.
- I love my job. Writing and helping authors improve their work is my passion.
- I do indeed work from home in my yoga pants.
But enough about me. Let’s talk about you, and your journey. After much soul-searching and agonizing (and indulging in copious amounts of dark chocolate) I decided these three words best reflected myself and my heart for you. Yes, beautiful wonderful you.
Oooo, I love that word. Gives me shivers down my spine, full of possibilities. I love to create new people and stories and worlds through my fiction books, and help people tell their own stories more brilliantly. I love to creatively capture moments in time through my camera lens – the teardrop on a mother’s cheek, the first spring flower, a smiling child’s grubby face on the streets of Thailand.
I want to create that space for you. I want to give you a safe place to learn, grow, connect with other creatives, and be inspired and refreshed. To that end, you’ll find tutorials, examples and featured Creatives on my blog from every creative medium imaginable.
I’m a homebody with an insatiable wanderlust. I know, figure that one out. But it’s true. I love to explore my world and discover new beauties (and new ways of seeing) around every corner, whether it’s across oceans or in the backyard of my 100-year-old Kansas farmhouse.
The last three years I’ve traveled the world with a Christian non-profit media team and had some pretty crazy adventures. If you love travel and vicariously experiencing exotic places, hop in my battered suitcase and come along for the ride. If nothing else, you’ll learn tips to survive a 14-hour long haul flight and only go slightly crazy.
This is where it all comes together. I believe as a creative God gave us the desire to explore our world and create beautiful expressions of life in stories, art, music, and many other forms because that’s who He is, and we’re His children.
Most of all, I desire to illuminate the true character and beauty of my Lord in the midst of a life that’s often messy, discouraging, and downright hard sometimes. I want to encourage you to never give up on your story, because I believe that the story we live is the most important one of all.
In that vein, occasionally I share a few thoughts from my heart on living your story well and what I’m learning in my own journey, in hopes of illuminating the path for your own story.