Ready to make your story shine and take it to the next level?
Whether you’re simply needing a second set of eyes to polish your manuscript, or an experienced professional to provide an in-depth content edit, I would love to dig in and help bring out the best that your work has to offer.
“Katie [Morford] is a fantastic young editor, and I can’t wait to see what lies in her future.” – Jeff Gerke, professional editor and founder of Marcher Lord Press (now Enclave, owned by Gilead Publishing)
Don’t worry. As a writer myself, I know how hard it can be to receive feedback on your work or to see the manuscript you’ve poured blood, sweat and tears into covered in red ink. I’ll come alongside you each stage of the process and help you identify how to improve your writing to tell the story you’ve been given to write in the most effective and engaging way possible.
“Karis goes out of her way to understand my message and get on the same page with me. She knows just the right questions to ask to help me take my characters from static concepts to living, breathing individuals who leap off the page. I would trust Karis with any story I’ve written, and I believe I’ve become a better writer through her honest evaluation of my work.” – A.C. Williams, author of four published novels and co-founder of independent publisher Crosshair Press
I also know that sometimes money is hard to come by, so I offer different editing packages of varying prices and intensity (see below) to fit where you’re at in your writing journey.
I love editing and helping other writers bring their story and characters to life! Will you let me help you? I can take your story to the next level.
“Karis is one of the most talented and imaginative young writers I have ever known. She also has a servant’s heart. I highly recommend Karis’s work.” – Steve Barclift, Managing Editor at Kregel Publications
Pricing and Editing Packages
Manuscript Consultation ($25 for 30-minute session)
- Designed for authors dipping their toes into their first professional edit
- Includes a complimentary edit of first 3 pages for first-time clients
- Includes 30-minute video chat consult and writing critique
- Answers author questions, evaluates writer proficiency, and makes recommendations on what services would best suit their needs
“Katie is that most valuable of assets for a writer: a good listener who asks on-point questions. She’s keen on structure and knows how to save an author time and money with a little pithy planning. If you’re not sure if your idea is solid or if your plot arc is supported, invest a little time in a consult before you invest dozens or hundreds of hours in your work. It’s worth it.” – Author Laura VanArenDonk Bough
Coaching Session ($30 per hour via phone or video chat)
- A great resource for writers of any experience level
- An opportunity to receive personalized feedback and answer to tough craft and manuscript questions
- Your chance to bounce your ideas off an experienced industry professional
“Katie was immensely helpful in pinpointing problem spots with my book and advising me on issues I might run into with my world building and characterization. She knows how to ask the right questions, and gave me a lot of spot-on feedback, even without reading the whole story.” – Author and #WIPjoy host Bethany Jennings
Comprehensive Critique ($500 per 80-100,000 word manuscript)
- Looks at the “big picture” of your story and identifies structural problems
- Addresses character, culture, point-of-view issues and author voice
- Writer receives 2-5 pages of notes and 30 minute video chat consult
“After talking with a handful of other editors, I quickly realized Katie’s talent was exactly what I needed to take my writing to the next level. Without reading more than my first chapter and outline, she was able to fix an underlying issue I’d been struggling with for months…As an author, I truly believe there’s only so far we can come by ourselves. I’m happy that I’ve enlisted Katie to help bring out my book’s full potential.” – Author Noelle Nichols
Content/Developmental Edit ($2,000 per 100,000 word manuscript; or $25 per 1,000 words)
- Focuses on structural problems, character development, themes and voice
- Designed to improve the writer’s craft as well as the manuscript
- Writer receives manuscript back with extensive notes
- Focuses on preparing a manuscript for line edits
“With clever, concise questions, Karis digs down to the roots of storytelling craft and gives you a blueprint for growth. If you want your book to reach its full potential, I can’t recommend Karis highly enough!” – Jacqueline Patterson, author
Line Edit ($1,500 per 80-100,000 word manuscript; or $20 per 1,000 words)
- Goes line-by-line to evaluate flow, pacing and word choice
- Addresses formatting issues, descriptions, conciseness and tension
- Is designed to polish a manuscript for publication
Copy-edit ($500 for 100,000 word manuscript; $250 for 50,000 or less)
- Designed to catch spelling errors, typos, and minor grammar problems
- Focuses on polishing a manuscript for publication after a content and line edit
“Karis genuinely understands craft and knows how to ask the right questions to take a story to the next level. Karis’ advice is both encouraging and uncompromising – exactly what authors need. Talking with her is always energizing and leaves me filled with great new ideas!” Mollie Reeder, author and filmmaker
Hourly Rates ($35/hr; blog posts, non-fiction editing, and article-writing only)
- Ideal for authors who don’t have time to blog regularly
- Designed for clients looking for non-fiction and article writing/editing
My passion is helping writers succeed and improve in their craft. If you’d like me to edit your work, but need more information, please feel free to contact me! I also offer a free three page sample edit, so you can get to know me and my editing style.
Not yet ready for a manuscript edit or consult? You might be interested in my eight-week personalized writing mentorship course, designed to help you learn your craft and prepare for publication.