Have you always wanted to write a book, but never knew where to start? Maybe you have a manuscript or two stowed away in your basement, but you’re ready to take the next step toward publication and becoming a creative professional. One thing’s for sure–it can be intimidating on your own.
Author Pitch Toolkit
The Author Pitch Toolkit ($50 documents + options for a $25 pitch practice session, a $25 synopsis critique, and/or a 10-page polish edit for $25/1,000 words). There is a 10% discount if you purchase the whole toolkit package!
- Synopsis template, tip sheet, and example
- One-sheet template and example
- Query letter template and example
- Overall pitch tips
- Glossary of Terms
Fiction Fundamentals Mentorship Course
“Fiction Fundamentals is a great course for any writer! The lessons really challenged me to evaluate my own work and Katie’s feedback was a great prompt to help me continue to improve. If you’re new to writing or struggling with an aspect of the craft, don’t hesitate to take this course!” – Claire Banschbach, writer and student
In each eight-week mentorship course I come alongside you and share what I’ve learned through a writing degree, multiple writing courses and mentorships, the publication process of my own novel, and my role as a freelance editor and managing content editor for independent publisher Crosshair Press.
You’ll learn how to construct a powerful story, create characters your readers will love, trouble-shoot common problems I encounter as an editor, interact professionally in a very competitive publishing industry and get other people excited about your story!
How does it work? Each week I send you a short reading on the topic and one or more writing assignments. When you’ve completed the assignments and emailed them to me, I give feedback using Microsoft Word’s “Track Changes” and comments features. Then, I send the assignments with comments back to you and we discuss any questions or clarifications.
Ready to take the next step? Contact me now.
(Part 1) Fiction Fundamentals—8 Weeks ($200 + $25 each for optional)
- Fiction Fundamentals: Know Your “Why”
- Story Structure: Premise, Message, and Three Acts
- Show vs. Tell
- Sympathetic Characters and Telling their Story
- Point-of-View and How (Not) to Use it Effectively
- Effective Villains and the Looming Threat
- Description and World-building: Using the 5 Senses
- Pacing and the Ticking Clock
- (Optional) Writing Book Series: Pulling It All Together
- (Optional) Flash Fiction, Short Stories, Novellas and Web Serials
(Part 2) The Advanced Fiction Writer—8 Weeks ($300)
- Your Authentic Voice
- Accepting Criticism (A.k.a Your Editor is Your Friend)
- Navigating the Publishing Industry
- Social Media and Marketing
- Blogging for Writers
- Newsletters and Building Your Tribe
- Nuts and Bolts for the Creative Business Person
- The Creative Life (Avoiding Burn-Out and Staying Inspired)